On Thursday, the Russian government accused the United States of carrying out a drone attack on the Kremlin, which it considers an attempt to assassinate Russian President Vladimir Putin, without providing any evidence for its claim. The event escalated tensions after Ukraine denied Russia’s previous allegations that Kiev was responsible for the drone attack.
- Kremlin spokesman Dmitry Peskov claimed the US was behind the drone attack, with Russian forces shooting down two drones early Wednesday morning.
- Russia claimed, without evidence, that the attack was an attempt on the life of Mr. Putin, who was not injured in the attack, and said it “considers these actions a planned terrorist attack and an attempt on the life of the President.”
- Peskov described the “attempts to disavow” the attack by the Ukrainian and US governments, citing Sky News, as saying: “We know very well that decisions about such actions, such terrorist attacks, are taken not in Kiev but in Washington.”
- US officials said on Wednesday they had no knowledge of the attack, and US Secretary of State Antony Blinken cast doubt on Russia’s claim.
- Ukraine denied any involvement in the attack. Mykhailo Podolak, advisor to President Volodymyr Zelensky’s chief of staff, tweeted: “Ukraine is waging an exclusively defensive war and does not attack targets on the territory of the Russian Federation.”
- The US State Department referred Forbes to comments made on Wednesday by State Department spokesperson Vedant Patel, who said the US was “not in a position to confirm the veracity” of the report. The United States has been clear and consistent about not encouraging or allowing Ukrainians to strike outside their borders.
In his statement on Wednesday, Podolak said Russia’s allegations about the drone attack are part of a broader attack on the Kremlin, saying Russia was “clearly preparing for a large-scale terrorist attack.” with Ukrainian drones over the Kremlin”. Russia said it would take “retaliatory measures where and when it deems necessary” in response to the drone attack.
Translated article from the American magazine Forbes – Author: Allison Durky
<< اقرأ أيضًا: هذه الدول الخمس تغسل النفط الروسي لبيعه للغرب >>>